95% of Aldi own-brand product packaging is now recyclable
Aldi Ireland has announced that over 95% of its own-brand products now feature recyclable packaging. The news follows the government’s announcement that PE and PP films can now be recycled into Ir …
Aldi Ireland has announced that over 95% of its own-brand products now feature recyclable packaging.
The news follows the government’s announcement that PE and PP films can now be recycled in Ireland.
Over the past two years, Aldi has worked with its Irish suppliers to introduce new innovative and sustainable packaging solutions that have removed more than 2,150 tonnes of virgin plastic from its 148 stores nationwide.
The supermarket has also replaced more than 930 tonnes of non-recyclable packaging material with recyclable alternatives since 2019.
Aldi has said it is on schedule to meet its goal of having 100% of its own-brand packaging to be recyclable, reusable or compostable by the end of 2022.
Commenting on the progress, John Curtin, Aldi Group Purchasing Director, said: âThe positive changes we make every day to the packaging of our products reflect our customers’ demand to buy more sustainably.
âWe would like to thank all of our Irish suppliers who have worked tirelessly throughout all phases of our plastic reduction strategy. We know we still have more to accomplish, but this is another important step for the company, âhe added.
Over the past 12 months, Aldi has introduced a number of measures to help reduce plastic.
- Become the first retailer in launch new home compostable platters made from sugarcane across its range of specially selected and multiple award winning Irish steaks.
- Become the first retailer in Ireland to completely remove black plastic from major food lines, removing 410 tonnes of hard-to-recycle plastic from stores.
- To become the first retailer in Ireland to introduce 100% recycled PET water bottles into its own brand water range, a change that affects more than 30 million water bottles each year.
- Become the first retailer in Ireland to introduce 100% recyclable packaging in its own-brand fresh bread range, eliminating over 18 tonnes of plastic.
- Relocation of all 1L milk cartons to fully renewable plant materials.
Recently, Aldi replaced all single-use plastic straws in its juice line with paper straws, eliminating over four million pieces of single-use plastic.
It has also gone from non-recyclable shrink wrap to 100% recyclable card packaging on multipack soda cans, eliminating 2.7 tonnes of non-recyclable plastic per year.
For more information on the government’s announcement regarding the recycling of flexible plastics, click here.
2021 Checkout – your source for the latest Irish retail news. Article by Donna Ahern. For more information on packaging, click here. Click on Register now to subscribe to Checkout.